Follow these steps to build a new web site with Jekyll and host it on GitHub Pages for free!
Create a New Website with Jekyll
- Install Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10. Follow these instructions.
- Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
- Install Jekyll using command
apt install jekyll. Wait until the installation is completed.
- You may check if Jekyll is intalled properly by checking its versions
- Start building a new website from a template by using command
jekyll new .;where
.can be substituted with the directory you want to put your website files into.
- Use command
jekyll serveto start local web server and go to http://localhost:4000 to see your site.
Host your New Website on GitHub Pages
- Create a new repository on GitHub with exact name:
username.github.io;substitute username with your GitHub username.
- Commit and push to your GitHub repository
- You can see your website at https://username.github.io/
*See more detailed instructions at https://pages.github.com/
Customizing Your Website
You can edit file index.html to suit you need.
You can add more pages by looking about.md as an example.
You can remove files in _posts folder if you don’t want host any blog post here.
Learn Git within 7 Minutes and Play Around with It
Yesterday, I watched a VDO on somkiat.cc about Git for beginner and I found it is really interesting especially for…
Connecting to GitHub with SSH
Here is the quick guide to push/pull GitHub repository via SSH connection based on the instructions on GitHub Help
A Guide to Creating and Hosting a Personal Website on GitHub | Jonathan McGlone | Librarian, Front…
A beginner's guide to creating a personal website and blog using Jekyll and hosting it for free using GitHub Pages.
Git, GitHub, and GitHub Pages
- Git Documentation
- Learn Git and GitHub in 15 minutes
- GitHub Pages Help
- GitHub Help
- GitHub Cheat Sheet
- GitHub Glossary
- GitHub For Academics